Chapter 1: General Provisions
These Rules are enacted in accordance with the provisions of Paragraph13, Article 2 of the Satellite Broadcasting Law.
The terms as used herein shall be defined as follows:
1. "Broadcasting TV Earth Station" (hereafter referred to as earth station) means the telecommunications facilities used to receive, process and transmit broadcasting television program signals between earth and satellites.
2. "Satellite Organizations" means the domestic or international organizations approved by related international satellite organizations or institutes to possess satellites either in orbit or imminently to be launched into orbit and to operate satellite systems.
3. "Compression Technology" means the technology that converts and processes program signals to reduce the volume of information needed so that the bandwidth required to transmit the signal is narrowed.
4. "Encryption" means the signal processing technology used by satellite broadcasting television businesses to broadcast the video images and sounds of a designated frequency channel in the way that reception of the broadcast in the normal manner is not possible, and a special decoding process is needed for reception.
5. "Up-Link" means the wireless link comprising transmission from an earth station to a satellite.
6. "Down-Link" means the wireless link comprising transmission from a satellite to an earth station.
7. "Engineering Manager" means an individual in charge of matters related to engineering techniques at the earth station, and responsible for and in supervision of construction, maintenance and operation of earth station facilities.
The competent authority of these rules is the National Communications Commission.