Chapter 2 Radio station installation
For the establishment of a radio station, as required by Radio and Television Act, a request shall be submitted to the competent authority for permits of establishment. The applicant shall prepare and provide the following documents within 6 months while the establishment permit remains valid, and the establishment shall not commence until the competent authority has reviewed and approved the request for establishment of the said radio station:
1. Completed request form for radio station establishment permit;
2. Instruction documents of radio station equipments, which shall specify the manufacturer of equipment, model, original catalogue(s) of equipment issued by the manufacturer, system diagram(s), and, in case of radio equipments, electrical power, radio station frequency and method of transmission; in addition, data regarding antenna gain, coordinate of establishment site, antenna pattern diagram(s) and other necessary materials shall be provided;
3. A detailed map showing estimated radio wave coverage;
4. Interference evaluation chart;
5. Curriculum vitae of engineering supervisor; and
6. A certification document provided by a certified architect, or a civil or structural engineer related to structural integrity and safety, that justifies the integrity and safety of structure on which the antenna tower is mounted, in case that an antenna tower is located on the roof of a building/structure.
7.Radio station installation affidavit.
The period of review mentioned above is 6 months, during which the competent authority may request a field test performed by the applicant based on the conditions of review.
The establishment of an antenna tower of a radio station and the location of such a tower shall not violate the broadcasting service zone that has been announced or appointed by the competent authority.
When two or more radio or television stations are operating on one shared tower with other radio, television or telecommunication stations, the radio station shall operate on a directional antenna, which the competent government authorities have assessed without concerns of interference, and also does not deviate from the initial primary service area, the radio antenna tower may be installed within a three-kilometer radius beyond the broadcast service area, and not restricted by the preceding stipulation.
For Class B and C frequency modulation (FM) radio stations, a broadcasting station of the same frequency may be established in the broadcasting service zone appointed by the competent authority, provided that such a station or its establishment does not generate interference to other existing legally established radio stations and a proper request is made as per Paragraph 1.
If the application of item 1 involves a new installation and changes of an antenna tower, the competent authorities, at the time of approving and issuing the tower installation permit, shall notify the municipalities or county (municipal) governments relevant to where the site is located.
If the applicant fails to submit its application as per Item I Paragraph 7 or submits an untrue affidavit, the competent government authority may revoke or abolish the tower installation permit.
The height of antenna tower established on a station shall not violate the standard of flight safety and airport, flight field and around auxiliary flight equipment, and shall not violate the related regulations or procedures of defining, announcing and regulating restricted areas of coast, mountains and important military facilities as well as forbidden and restricted areas for construction.
Marker and obstacle lamps on antenna tower shall conform to the regulations of barrier sign for flight and the establishment for obstacle lights.
The term of validity for a permit to establish TV station shall be 2 years, and that for a permit to establish broadcasting station shall be 1 year. If necessary, applicants shall apply postponement to the MOTC with written reasons and attaching the original permit for establishment 30 days prior to the expiration. The term of postponement shall be 1 year, and the above application can only be made once.
The permit to establish station mentioned above shall specify the items as follows:
1. Name of Station
2. Location of Establishment
3. Brand, Model Number and Quantity of Transmitter and Quantity of Power Amplifier
4. Range of Station Frequency
5. Bandwidth of Station
6. Electric power
7. Call Sign of Station
8. The manufacturer, model and number of antenna(s).
Applicants who acquire a permit to establish a station shall conduct a test of the range covered by radio wave and interference estimation to the system operation inside of station while the establishment of transmitter is completed. After completed, they shall apply to the competent authority for inspections. Those who are inspected to be qualified shall provide the original permit to establish station to apply to the competent authority for a license of station. The license shall be issued with approval of the competent authority.
The term to handle a review in the proceeding paragraph shall be 3 months.
During a test in the first paragraph , only a test tone and inspection diagram for transmission test shall be used to measure radiated electric field intensity as well as estimate the range covered by radio wave and interference , and shall not apply for other use. However, both existing radio stations and relay stations may be allowed to use its programs for transmission test.
Applicants who acquire a license of station shall start to apply to the competent authority for issuing a broadcasting or TV license.
For the inspection of station, applicants shall attach the following documents:
1. Transmitter, which is imported from abroad, shall attach an import certificate of the origin (A certificate shall at least include Brand, Model Number, Serial Number, and Date of Delivery.)
2. A Record Table of Self-inspection for Transmitter.
3. An Estimation Table of Frequency usage fee Or estimation table for number of population in service zone.
4. An Estimation Table of Electric Field Intensity for the Octave Direction and Interference for Broadcasting Station
5. Diagrams Radio Wave Coverage
Test and trial broadcasting of a station shall not interfere with the broadcasting of other stations.
The validity for a license of station shall be 3 years. Operations of a station who wish to continue operation after expiration shall inspect parts by themselves within 30 days prior to expiration, and fill in An Estimation Table of Self-inspection for Transmitter to apply to the DGT for transfer to the competent authority for approval license renewal.
A license of station shall specify the items as follows:
1. Name of their station
2. Organization or corporate body owning the station
3. Engineering supervisor
4. Verified electric power
5. Frequency of the Station
6. Bandwidth of the Station
7. Call Sign of the Station
8. Location of the establishment
9. Model number of brand, quantity, parts number and electric power of main and spare transmitter as well as the quantity of power amplifier
10. Location of main control room or broadcasting room
11. Manufacturer, model, number and power gain of antenna(s).
In cases of relocation of an existing radio station for transmission, change of frequency, power, antenna, transmission equipment, and adding transmission equipment , a request of permit shall be made to the competent authority for the establishment, and a new radio station license will be issued once the review is approved.
For requests of establishment permit mentioned above, the required documents as specified in paragraph 1 of Article 5 shall be provided. However, adding or changing transmission equipment, the documents specified in the subparagraph 3 through 6, paragraph 1 of Article 5 may be omitted. For changes of frequency, power, and antenna, the documents specified in subparagraphs 5 and 6, paragraph 1 of Article 5 may be omitted.
In cases of establishment of a radio station with an expired establishment permit for which an extension has been made, a new permit shall be requested for the establishment with all corresponding documents of proof ready and submitted to the competent authority as per the previous two paragraphs.
In cases of requests for review in paragraph 1, the documents specified in subparagraph 2 through 5, paragraph 5 of Article 8 shall be provided, and the procedure set forth in paragraph 1, Article 8 shall apply. However, in cases of adding or changing transmission equipment, only the documents specified in the subparagraph 1 and 2, paragraph 5 of Article 8 shall be attached.
Those who lost permits to establish station or a licenses of station, or whose permits or licenses are damaged to be used should post invalidity in the newspaper, and file to the competent authority for transfer to the MOTC for reissuance of permits or licenses.
For changes of information in a radio station establishment permit or radio station license that are not specified in Article 12, corresponding document(s) of proof shall be provided to the competent authority for approval of reissue.
Permits or licenses reissued or renewed pursuant to the proceeding 2 articles shall have the same term of validation as that for the original ones